SPI & ESI goes green(er) through new partnership with WGL Energy
Solar Power International (SPI) & Energy Storage International (ESI) are proud to partner with WGL Energy Services, Inc (WGL Energy) to green the electricity use at Anaheim Convention Center during SPI/ESI. Through this partnership, WGL Energy will provide SPI/ESI with solar renewable energy credits (SRECs) to match the approximate electricity usage at the Anaheim Convention Center during the show. The renewable generation associated with these SRECs avoids 571 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, which has the environmental equivalent to taking 122 cars off the road for one year.
See what else we're doing to make the conference a green event
- We're demonstrating a microgrid in the Smart Energy Microgrid Marketplace that a number of exhibitors will utilize to generate power for their booths.
- Our signs are printed on post-consumer, recyclable materials
- The food at the ACC will be catered by ARAMARK. The ACC is committed to protecting and improving the environment through making socially responsible and sustainable food choices. These include whole animal sourcing/purchasing, partnerships with Certified Rainforest Alliance & Fair Trade Products, Sustainable Beverage Programs, Green Zone/Recycling Center, Food Donation Program, and using the facility’s Green Roof to source some herbs and vegetables. For more information on the ACC's efforts, click here.
- All utensils and plates will be biodegradable at the Block Party.
- We've partnered with Lyft, the first and only carbonneutral ridesharing company. This means that riding with Lyft is a decision to take a cleaner option. By offsetting over 1 million metric tons of CO2 in the first year alone, Lyft is one of the top 10 largest voluntary offset purchasers worldwide - the impact of this multimillion dollar effort is equivalent to planting over 35 million trees.
Help do your part and contribute to our green initiatives
- Attendees are encouraged to bring their own reusable water bottles and take advantage of the water stations around the convention center and hotels.
- Attendees can donate $5 towards purchasing carbon credits to offset emissions from travel upon registration.
- Attendees are encouraged to drop name badges in marked recycling receptacles at the end of the convention to cut down on waste.
- Attendees are encouraged to choose hotels that are within walking distance of the convention center to cut down on waste generated by transportation. Find a hotel
- We encourage our exhibitors to adopt as many sustainable practices as possible, including re-using flooring and signage from previous shows, utilizing EnergyStar devices, and printing handouts on post-consumer paper.
- Exhibitors who commit to three of more of the sustainability initiatives listed in the Sustainability Participation Form will receive 10 points in the booth competition.
- Exhibitors can indicate what materials they will donate at the end of the show to reduce the amount of waste sent to the landfill. Donations get sent to Habitat for Humanity.
Our partners and vendors are committed to sustainable practices.
Solar Power Events and our partners at the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and the Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA), created a Green Team to promote sustainability initiatives at SPI and ESI. The team works hard to ensure that the conference demonstrates a real commitment to leadership in sustainability at large-scale conferences and convention centers. In 2018, the team is focusing on initiatives relating to energy consumption, sustainable food choices, and reducing waste.