Monday, October 21, 2013
5 pm – 6:30 pm
Solar’s Time To Shine
Dr. Cheryl Martin joins us for a fireside chat during the Monday General Session, which will focus on the themes of entrepreneurship and innovation, two invaluable commodities of the solar energy industry. Dr. Martin is the Deputy Director of the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E), and leads the agency’s Technology-to- Market program, which helps breakthrough energy technologies succeed in the marketplace. Dr. Martin will be interviewed by Amy Francetic, CEO, Clean Energy Trust.
The session will include a view of Solar Today, Solar Tomorrow presented by Julia Hamm and Rhone Resch, including a look at SPI’s new Start- Up Alley and Solar Impulse Entrepreneurs and Innovators. Don’t miss this exciting session that will captivate, engage, and inspire attendees with all that is on the horizon for solar advancements and technology.
SPI is pleased to announce that Rahm Emanuel, Mayor of Chicago, and The Honorable Pat Quinn, Governor of Illinois, will address attendees at the Monday General Session. In addition, these industry leaders will kick off the session and your time in Chicago:
- Howard Learner, President and Executive Director, Environmental Law and Policy Center
- SEIA Board Chairman Arno Harris, Chief Executive Officer & Chairman, Recurrent Energy
- SEPA Board Chairman David Rubin, Director of Service Analysis, Pacific Gas and Electric Company
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
9:00 am – 10:30 am
Exploring Opportunities in Solar
The session begins with Minh Le, Director of the Solar Energy Technologies Office, U.S. Department of Energy addressing the goals and successes of the SunShot Initiative. Le will announce further support from the Energy Department for innovative research and development within the solar industry.
This politically-themed session will start off with a laugh as performers from world-famous The Second City share their comedic perspective on net metering and other topical solar issues. The conversation then moves on to a slate of panelists who will ask attendees to consider the industry from outside the box. Ever wonder what a developer would say if they were a utility? Or how a regulator would respond if they were a developer? Moderated by Julia Hamm and Rhone Resch, the unique format of this session will allow panelists to “wear a different hat” and consider industry issues from the perspective of their fellow panelists and peers.
Current panelist include:
- Arno Harris, Chief Executive Officer, Recurrent Energy
- Dr. David Cash, Commissioner, Department of Public Utilities, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Joe Forline, Vice President, Customer Solutions, PSE&G
- David Hochschild, Commissioner, California Energy Commission
- Nat Kreamer, President and Chief Executive Officer, Clean Power Finance
- Steven Malnight, Vice President, Customer Energy Solutions, PG&E
- Jon Wellinghoff, Chairman, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission